Over the last 12-15 months we have seen a trickle of foreigners relocating from other parts of Thailand, and elsewhere, to Chiang Mai turn into a veritable flood—well, not quite, but you know what I mean….
Hardly a week goes by without us having a new business person or retiree asking for help with leasing or purchasing accommodation or looking for a new business opportunity in the city—whether it be a restaurant, bar, guest house or so on . From within Thailand the top 3 places foreigners are relocating from are Bangkok, Hua Hin and Phuket (but also Samui and Pattaya); from outside of Thailand, the top 3 places are China, Vietnam and Singapore.
Why? Well, 5 top reasons:
- the traffic in Bangkok or near Patong (Phuket) finally gets to you. Hours in traffic jams don’t auger well for business or raises stress levels when you are supposed to be taking it easy. Almost everywhere in Chiang Mai is so accessible
- mass tourism especially in Phuket and to a lesser extent Hua Hin is putting pressure on the existing facilities and on residents’ day to day lives. Yes, we have had a huge increase in tourism here in Chiang Mai but if you don’t go into the main city areas, you’d hardly notice
- the weather is much better in Chiang Mai—we have a real change of season; in fact it can even get cold… well, around 11-13C some nights. Autumn days are, usually, crisp and clear
- house and condo prices are still affordable; most foreigners seem to rent between Baht 15,000-35,000 per month or buy in the Baht 2.5-8M range and, with judicious selection, you can get a lot of property for these sort of figures
- if you are eligible to buy land and wish to build your own dream house, it’s still possible—with a variety of lovely plots with mountain, rice field or water views available from between Baht 1.5-6M per rai
So, what are you waiting for, check Chiang Mia out—better still give us a call for an informal chat about your property needs.
After all, who needs a beach?
Perfect Homes is a leading Chiang Mai real estate agency with extensive experience in the city, regionally, nationally and internationally.